- We worked with the families of victims to ensure that the illustrations accurately represented and honored these women.
- With the application of a social justice lens, we made sure not to perpetuate further trauma with our illustration aesthetics.
Services ProvidedAnnual Report, Campaign Strategy & Development, Illustration, Layout, Print, Social Media
6/18/17 | Seattle WA | 30 years old
- Charleena called the police to report an attempted burglary at her home.
- She was shot and killed by officers responding to her call.
- Officers said she displayed a knife upon their arrival to her home.
- Charleena was three months pregnant with her fourth child when she was killed.
8/1/16| Baltimore, MA | 23 years old
- Shot and killed with her son in her arms.
- When Gaines noticed police attempting to force entry that day in August, she sat down in her living room with a legally owned firearm, and a 6-hour standoff ensued.
- Officer Ruby fired several shots from outside of her apartment, then he entered the apartment and shot Gaines three more times, killing her.
2/22/13| Berkley, CA | 41 years old
- Kayla Moore was a transgender woman experiencing a mental health crisis and was killed in her home.
- Her roommate had summoned police for help.
- Officers attempted to arrest her on a warrant for a man 20 years her senior who held her dead name.
- Several officers overpowered Kayla in her own bedroom, suffocating her to death in the process.
9/5/15 | Virginia Beach | 27 years old
- Shot and killed by Virginia Beach Police while sitting in the car with her 4-month-old son.
- Officers fired 30 rounds into the car in under 15 seconds, killing India and Angelo.
- Perry and disabling their baby • Police did not have arrest warrants for either of them.
National visualization of Black women who were killed by the police.
#SAYHERNAME ANNUAL REPORT
Annual report 2020.
People were rightfully outraged about Trump’s refusal to condemn white supremacist groups, with this campaign, we called for a similar outrage about Trump’s attempt to away the ability to name and fight white supremacy. Saying that anti-racism is racist has a long history (and needs to be dismantled), as it it portrayed in this campaign.
We created several social media pieces to tackle different parts of this campaign.