African American Policy Forum
- Campaign strategy & development for #SayHerName, #TruthBeTold and Critical Race Theory Summer Camp.
- Illustrations of some of the women who were murdered by police.
- A map highlighting police brutalit.y
- Annual reports.
- Powerpoint Presentations.
- On-going social media pieces.
These are selected materials.
- We worked with the families of victims to ensure that the illustrations accurately represented and honored these women.
- With the application of a social justice lens, we made sure not to perpetuate further trauma with our illustration aesthetics.
Services ProvidedAnnual Report, Campaign Strategy & Development, Illustration, Layout, Print, Social Media
6/18/17 | Seattle WA | 30 years old
- Charleena called the police to report an attempted burglary at her home.
- She was shot and killed by officers responding to her call.
- Officers said she displayed a knife upon their arrival to her home.
- Charleena was three months pregnant with her fourth child when she was killed.
8/1/16| Baltimore, MA | 23 years old
- Shot and killed with her son in her arms.
- When Gaines noticed police attempting to force entry that day in August, she sat down in her living room with a legally owned firearm, and a 6-hour standoff ensued.
- Officer Ruby fired several shots from outside of her apartment, then he entered the apartment and shot Gaines three more times, killing her.
2/22/13| Berkley, CA | 41 years old
- Kayla Moore was a transgender woman experiencing a mental health crisis and was killed in her home.
- Her roommate had summoned police for help.
- Officers attempted to arrest her on a warrant for a man 20 years her senior who held her dead name.
- Several officers overpowered Kayla in her own bedroom, suffocating her to death in the process.
9/5/15 | Virginia Beach | 27 years old
- Shot and killed by Virginia Beach Police while sitting in the car with her 4-month-old son.
- Officers fired 30 rounds into the car in under 15 seconds, killing India and Angelo.
- Perry and disabling their baby • Police did not have arrest warrants for either of them.
National visualization of Black women who were killed by the police.
#SAYHERNAME ANNUAL REPORT
Annual report 2020.
People were rightfully outraged about Trump’s refusal to condemn white supremacist groups, with this campaign, we called for a similar outrage about Trump’s attempt to away the ability to name and fight white supremacy. Saying that anti-racism is racist has a long history (and needs to be dismantled), as it it portrayed in this campaign.
We created several social media pieces to tackle different parts of this campaign.
FUNDING BEYOND CRISIS POWERPOINT
Selected slides from Funding Beyond Crisis PowerPoint presentation.